(awkward and awesome)

(awkward and awesome)
First Wive's Club...one of Ma's favorites

Friday, January 20, 2012

Wrote This Yesterday


As I write this, the good people of Gulf Power are replacing the power pole outside of the house leaving without power for the next two hours. There goes my Once Upon a Time TV date with Bear. Back at the rabbit trail: Did they have to kill off Grant? He had the coolest accent on the show. Man!

Bear suggested I take the car and go somewhere which was a sweet suggestion. However, the idea that I can't stand to be without power for 2-3 hours unsettled me. I mean, I'm outdoorsy---ask the rescue dog.

Actually, it's not about being one with nature. It's about being so spoiled by the emenities of modern culture that no power equals the end of life as I know it. No On-line games? No laundry that I can throw in the wash and forget about? Wash my dishes by HAND? No FriendFace?! What will become of the world if they don't get my status updates?! Merciful Heavens! Why?! (Wow. That was dramatic.) Yeah. I don't want to be that person.

So instead of typing this out at the desk and posting, you be reading my third draft. The first was written using an ancient method known simply as pen and paper. I wrote it on the back porch sitting in a sunbeam while listening to birds and Chloe the Dog bark at the power guys. Not a bad way to start the day. Sans power may not be convenient, but at least I don't have to pluck my own chickens. (That's what I tell myself when I'm feeling whiney) Now, I'm gonna read some Failing Forward by John Maxwell. If the the power is still out when the girls get home, I think I'm gonna make them wash some clothes by hand because satellite is pricey, but this kind of drama is legal and free. Shameless.

(P.S. The power was on an hour before the girls got home. Next time....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can tell me....