(awkward and awesome)

(awkward and awesome)
First Wive's Club...one of Ma's favorites

Friday, August 3, 2012

I'm Sure I Missed Something Somewhere at Some Time...

Aren't they cute?  Get a good look because they might not survive the summer break...and it's almost over!  Some where along the way I have failed in teaching my children how to consider others.

Example:  I don't like people touching my face.  I don't know why; it's a personal boundary none the less.  I didn't even like them touching my face as babies, and I strong discouraged it.  So do tell me if you can, why is it that my children see me asleep (as in taking a nap because Daddy's home and I can or maybe it's 6 am and OBVIOUSLY I should be up by now) and they come up to me and poke my face to wake me.  Poke. My. Face.  They know I don't like my face touched.  I've heard them tell each other not to touch Mommy's face.  And yet, and YET....they are poking me in the face to wake me up.  This is when I turn into a honey badger and guess what I'm not giving as I proceed to yell at my kids.  Now, this happens at least 3 times a week.  It's not like they are unaware of what's gonna happen next.  They aren't even surprised when I yell.  I can almost see their thought bubbles.  "Yup.  Poked her face....and she's awake.  I know because her eyes are open and red with lazer vision and deep breathe...and yell.  Okay good.  That was a successful run".  It's madness.

I remember steering very clear of my ma when she was sleeping and definitely NOT doing things that made her Hulk out if I could at all help it.  I realize now as a parent that's what consideration is.  Doing or not doing things to others that help them be the best they can be.  How do I teach this?  How did I not teach this?  We talk about such things all the time.  Treat others the way you want to be treated.  Is it really that hard?  Why won't they stop touching my bloody face when I'm trying to sleep for the love of all things good and holy?  Why?  WHY?

Where the frick is that squirrel when I need to kick him?!  AAARRRGGG!
 Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I for one am not sure how to teach this.
    I know out may sound kind of backwards, but do to then as they are doing to you. I don't know, just so they know what it feels like. Just a thought... Let me know if you need my help :P

    ReplyDelete

You can tell me....